Tuesday, April 3, 2012

The Ware-ing of the Green


A little late for St. Patrick’s Day, a bit tardy for the advance of spring. But our neighboring city of Brentwood has advanced the opening date of the Farmers Market to the last day of March.

Man, these Contra Costa County burgs have gots the hook-up. Century-plus-year-old grape vines in our city of Oakley, and an equally venerable agricultural tradition in Brentwood, Byron, Antioch and Knightsen: first of the season, first in our hearts.

So, Kathy gets her hair cut at this groovy salon in downtown Brentwood, mere steps from the Saturday market. I’m not sure which was cuter: her haircut or the slender stalks of fresh asparagus. (I’m kidding, y’all. I kid because I love.)

Now, we’ve had a very dry winter (I’m sure that you’re all boo-hooing for me). Yeah, 65-degree temps in January, not a cloud in the blue sky, but no rain.

But here it is April, in like a baby cougar and out like a sheepie.

Lots of precipitation, but still not goofily so. Just meant that I could turn off the automatic irrigation thang. (Since we turned the drip thing to “2 Zones, v. 5 Zones with the previous pop-up sprinkler heads, I have been conflicted.)

BUT! Here we are with our April bounty: fresh, green peas as a side last night. And fava beans that rival that stuff at the Farmers Market. And we pulled baby’s first carrot from seed.

FYI: The peas were absolutely delicious.

The other green is completely outrageous.

No comments:

Post a Comment